Digital Design

 Who boy, this has been an experience! 

I really thought the last assignment shook me, but thinking through the process of building a digital game has really had me re thinking the idea of games in general! 

I have enjoyed the process overall, but find my creative ideas far overpowering my practical experience. I really want to shoot for the moon in design, but just don't have the time or the knowledge yet to make it happen. If I had to do this project over, I think it would realize its "ok" to think small and accomplish a smaller project than try for the bigger, lofty ideas. 

Using Construct has been pretty easy to grasp. Being in a technology field as a profession, working with new software is pretty intuitive and I grasp the concepts pretty easily... the struggle really comes more from not knowing what all the software can do. In short, having limitations in the software, but not really knowing what those limitations are. Again, having lofty ideas... but not having the knowledge to execute them! 

My game is based off an earlier game idea which will be called "Dr. Ludlow and the Mega Computer." the game will consist of the player moving around the level collecting pieces that could then be used to help defeat the boss of the level. The learning objectives are teaching players about the basic hardware components of a computer. So as an example, one stage will be teaching about RAM in a computer. The player will collect pieces of RAM to then use to build platforms during the boss fight. The concept is that RAM allows users to have more content open when using a computer. So, the more RAM that has been collected, the more the player can build, gaining an advantage of fighting the boss.

Additionally, after each successful hit on the boss, the boss will "reset" the stage, thus erasing the built platforms by the player. This ideally reinforces the idea that, though RAM is memory and things are stored on it, it is temporary and is erased when the computer is shutdown/restarted. 

Overall, I have enjoyed this assignment. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Reflection

Game Design Process